Points To Remember While Enrolling In A GRE Coursedata-share="true">
Following article will guide you in choosing the right preparatory course for GRE. Follow this article closely if you are a GRE aspirant. The article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of courses available and guides you on what factors to see and evaluate in choosing a mode of preparation .
GRE PREP COURSE - Self Evaluation
Before deciding to get into a course, it is very important to do self evaluation. Self evaluation helps to identify where you stand in terms of skills and the importance of enrolling in a fulltime GRE training session.
Diagnostic GRE Test
Do not just rush and enroll in any course. Taking a diagnostic test is very important step in GRE preparation. A diagnostic test will help you to identify what your present skill level is, what your strength areas, weakness spots are. Lots of free diagnostic tests are available online. Download one of them and take 1 - 2 tests. Measure what you score in the diagnostic test.
Things to measure after diagnostic test
- Overall Score
- Score in Individual Question Types
- Section wise score
- Time taken for the overall test
- Time taken for Individual Question types
- Time taken for each section
- Time taken for each question
- List of Weak areas based on the above factors
- List of stronger areas based on the above factors
Once you have all stats of your skill level after a diagnostic test see to that the course which you are about to choose helps you in increasing your skill and time management in weaker areas.
Answer the following questions. Determining your study habits is
also an important factor in choosing a training
- Do you study alone or prefer to study in group?
- Do you always devote considerable amount of time when you study alone?
- Do you plan and study?
- Are you self motivated or always you need a mentor to motivate you?
- Are you disciplined in self study?
If the answer to all the above points is 80% - 100% "yes" then you are not in need of a separate classroom course.
If your answer percentage stays somewhere between 40% - 80%, you will have to seriously consider a good course in assisting your preparation.
GRE Test Prep Course - Pros
Following are the advantages in enrolling into a course
- Time Saving
- Expert Guidance
- Planned Study
- Review and Correction of mistakes
- Learn from fellow students
GRE Test Prep Course - ConsFollowing may be a disadvantage in a course
- High Cost
- Good self study methods are available
- Not enough focus on individuals
- Poorly designed study materials
- Inexperienced Faculty
What is a Good GRE Prep Course
A good training session offered by a renowned institute will consist of the following listed factors in it
- Have exhaustive practice questions with explanations
- Experienced faculty
- Good study material
- Focus on individual
- Practice tests
- Discussion on mistakes
- Review sessions after practice tests
- Reputation of the test preparation company offering the course
Things To Do while undergoing a GRE Test prep course?
You should put your equal effort after preparatory course and makes sure that you utilize the training that you have received to its fullest extent. You should allocate some time and review what has happened in the class at your home. Also make sure that you note down all your queries, doubts and concerns while you are preparing at home and make sure that you get them all answered by your faculty in your coaching center.
If No GRE Prep Course
- Make sure you get best test preparation software
- Practice, practice and practice
- Design a practical followable study plan and follow that
- Allocate separate time for study - say 2 hrs to 6 hrs in a day
Hope we have tried to clear some myths about enrolling in a course. There is no magical path which will fetch you a good gre score. Preparation and practice are the two keys that will take you to your destination. Concluding, not all need formal training sessions. Many top scorers achieve good scores without attending training classes, while many achieve good scores with a good course. Evaluating whether you need a course and then acting according to your self evaluation is the best approach.