Testing Center for GRE
Steps involved in registering for a GRE testing center
GRE Test is Administered through Prometric Test Centers:
As you probably know, the GRE can be taken either in the computer based format or in the paper based format. You need to decide which version of the test you want to take before choosing a testing center. You can learn which version of the test is offered in your country from the official GRE website. In most places, the computer based format of the test is available. In places where the computer based version is unavailable, students must take the paper based version of the test. The Subject Test can be taken only in the paper based format.
The computer based format of the test is administered through Prometric testing centers all over the world. Prometric is presently acquired by ETS, and it helps many organizations in administering technology-enabled tests. There are over 10,000 Prometric test centers across 163 countries through which the test is offered. You may check the list of Prometric test centers on the official website. The list is updated often, so be sure to check it before you register. Also, if you are taking the paper based General Test or the Subject Test, take a look at the official website to find the list of test centers.
Choose a Test Center and Register!
To schedule a test, you must first choose a nearby through a test center where you can take the test. You can visit the official website and search for test centers near your location. Once you have found one convenient testing site, you need to register for the test. There are several ways in which you can register for the test. Depending on your location and the version of the test you intend to take, the official website will let you know the options you have for registering for the test. You can register online, by phone, by mail or via fax. You can schedule your testPrometric testing center by registering through the website.
The Steps You Need to Take for Online Registration:
Online registration is the easiest way to register for the test, and it is also the most accessible one. However, in some cases you may not be able to register online for the test. For example, students with disabilities, students availing ETS fee reduction option, students registering for standby testing or Monday testing, and also students from Nigeria cannot register for the test online. Nevertheless, if you do have the option for online registration, then you need to have access to a computer with internet connection and a credit or debit card. You also need to create a My GRE account to proceed. The My GRE account will be required not only for registration purposes; it will also let you view your scores online once the reports are out.
- After creating the My GRE account, go to the ‘Register for the Test’ section on the website and find the ‘Register Online’ option.
- On the online registration page, you will see a list of countries where the test is being offered. You need to select your country from the list to know which version of the test is available in your country.
- On the following page, you have to select your state or region to view all available test centers near your location.
- Choose a center from the list to schedule your test through that center.
- On the next page, you will be given the option for choosing either a test date or a three-month period within which you intend to take the test. If you select a particular date, you will be shown whether the date is available or not for the test center you have chosen. If you choose a three-month period, you will be shown which dates are available within that time, if any.
- After selecting a date, you will be able to see on what time the test is being offered on that date. Select the time you intend to take the test.
- For the next step, you will have to fill up a form with your personal information. You will find instructions on the website to help you in filling up the form.
- To complete your registration, select your payment option. Once the registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation number through email.
Other Options for Registering for the Test:
If you are taking the computer based test, you can also register by phone, mail or fax. On the other hand, if you are taking the paper based version of the test, you need to register either online or by mail. The paper based test is offered only three times in one year, while the computer based test is offered all year round. If you register via mail, you need to send the registration form to ETS early enough, as it may take about a month to process the request. The Authorization Voucher Request Form for the computer based test and the Registration Form for the paper based test can be downloaded from the website. You need to pay either by certified check or money order.
If you want to register by phone, you have to call the testing center in which you intend to take the test. Alternatively, you can call the Regional Registration Center (RRC) of Prometric. If you register during August or September 2011, ETS offers a 50% discount on the registration cost of the revised version of the test. While registering through a center, you cannot avail this offer instantly. You have to pay the full price initially, and you will receive 50% of the cost as refund after successful registration.
The option for registering via fax is available for students outside the US only. You need to send the form at least one week before the first desired test date. On successful registration, the confirmation number, test center details, etc will be emailed, faxed or mailed to you.
Whether you choose to take the test in the computer based or the paper based format, you can take it only once in two months. Moreover, you cannot take the test more than five times within one year. The Subject Test is offered about three times in one year, and you can take the test as many times as it is offered. The scores of the test are valid for five years; as a result the scores of both the previous version and the revised version of the test are valid within this time. However, the scores of the revised version of the test will not be available before mid-November. Be sure to check the updated score reporting schedule on the official website.