Fee for GRE Test
GRE Test- How much will you have to pay and how
GRE as a Standard Test
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a computer-based test that is administered by the Educational Testing Services (ETS) for admission to graduate schools and fellowship programs in universities primarily in the U.S. This exam is an absolute requirement in the English-speaking countries globally. The exam score determines a candidate’s aptitude and ability for admission. The ETS administers the test on behalf of the College Board. The exam is offered as a computer-based test at most locations globally. In places, where computer access is not available, it is offered as a paper-based test. The paper-based tests are administered 3 times in a year whereas computer-based tests are offered 5 times in a given year.
Things to Note for the Registration of GRE
Registration for both paper-based and computer-based tests can be done by logging into your My GRE account and paying for the exam with your credit or debit card. Though one thing to be noted is that online registration is not available for disabled candidates who request accommodation, or test-takers who request a fee reduction or want to reschedule the tests due to religious beliefs, or others who request a change in the test centers, or Nigerian candidates.
- You can save up to 50% of the test fee if you want to test between August 1, 2011 and September 30, 2011.
- If you register with a test center directly, you will be refunded 50% of the fee after your registration is approved.
- The fee for dates between August 1 and September 30, 2011 in the English-speaking countries like U.S., Canada, Australia, etc is 80 dollars.
- Test fee after September 30, 2011 in the English-speaking countries is 160 dollars.
- The fee in locations outside of the English-speaking countries in the months of August and September is 95 dollars.
- After September 30, 2011, the test cost in locations other than the English-speaking countries is 190 dollars.
- Late online registration test fee for paper-based tests is 25 dollars.
- Fees payable for standby testing for paper-based tests is50 dollars.
- Rescheduling for the test costs 50 dollars.
- Payment for change in test center costs 50 dollars.
- Cash is not acceptable as test fee and the form of currency payable is only in U.S. dollars.
- Refunds will be made in American dollars.
- No outstanding balances for test fee will be considered, and your candidature will be rejected.
- For payment of the test fee, taxes might be included.
- ETS has the right to adopt or remove online modes of payment at its own will.
- All GRE test registration fees should be made in full and sent to ETS or the test centers within 3 months of the test date.
- For registration, a check has to be drawn on a bank in the U.S. or Canada. Checks with foreign currency have to be drawn in a bank in that foreign country. In this way, ETS acts as an authority that can make a one-time electronic transfer from your account. If you do not have sufficient money in your account, an additional fee of 20 dollars will be added to your fee. You need to contact ETS to make sure of other methods of payment.
Registration Process for GRE Test
There are 3 ways in which you can register for the GRE test. These are applicable to English-speaking candidates. The methods of registering for the exam are:
- Web-based registration by credit/debit card. This option is not available to examinees residing in Nigeria.
- Registering by phone by credit/debit card or a voucher number. This also can be done by calling the test center directly at 1-800-GRE-CALL and other helpline numbers. When you call, a confirmation number, test date and time will be given to you.
- You can register via mail by downloading and completing the Authorization Voucher Request PDF form found at the official website, www.ets.org/gre. Then mail it with the test fee to the address on the voucher. After receiving the voucher, a test appointment needs to be made before the expiry date on the voucher. If you lose the voucher, only one replacement will be issued by ETS.
For test takers outside the United States, there are 4 methods by which you can register for the GRE.
- Web-based registration by credit or debit card. This option is not given to Nigerian test-takers.
- Phoning the appropriate test centers two days before your desired test date. Mode of payment is via credit or debit card, and voucher number. After receiving your call, you will be given a confirmation number, test date and test address.
- Registering through fax via credit or debit card, and voucher number. You can fax the International Test Scheduling Form which is in PDF format after filling it to the particular test center at least 7 days before the test date you prefer. A confirmation number, test date and test center address will be faxed to you. You need to call the test center if you have not received a call from them 3 days prior to the preferred test date. Suppose you have missed your confirmation call, and do not call them back for enquiry, your test fee will not be refunded. You can also receive the confirmation via e-mail if you have sent your e-mail address.
- Another option is by mailing the International Test Scheduling Form (in PDF) to register for the test with the appropriate fee. This can be done through electronic payment. You should register 3 weeks before the preferred test date. A confirmation date, test date and test center address will be mailed to you. If you have not received any confirmation from them, you have to call them 3 days prior to the preferred test date. If you have missed a call from the testing center, and have not called them back, your test fee will not be refunded at any cost. If they have your e-mail address, you can also receive the confirmation by e-mail.
- For Nigerian examinees, only an admission ticket for the test will be provided. If the admission ticket indicates a Nigerian testing center, only then is it acceptable. Credit/debit cards are not accepted for payment of fee. They can pay through international money orders, authorized vouchers from ETS, international bank drafts, and UNESCO coupons.They cannot ask for a Nigerian test center also.
- Test fees for the revised GRE test are non-refundable. If you cancel the registration 3 days prior to the test, you can receive half of the registered test fee provided you follow the appropriate registration procedure. You also need to provide the appropriate documentation at the test center. There will not be a cash refund and the form of currency is American dollars.
- For payment by credit or debit card, refunds will be done via electronic transfer of funds. Refunding for paper-based tests is done after the score reporting schedule.
- Refunds can also be done via PayPal or bank accounts.
- Refund by checks is also done via electronic transfer of funds to your account. For refunds drawn on an American bank, your claim for refund will be done 8 weeks after cancellation. For refunds drawn on a non-American bank, at least 12 weeks are needed for claiming the money. Refunds for paper-based tests are done after the score reporting period.
- For Mainland China candidates, claiming for refunds has to be done 10 days prior to the test date. Test fees for paper-based and computer-based tests cannot be changed and varies with the particular test format.
Analysis of Registration for GRE
Before registering for the test, you need to find out what test format is offered in your location and the particular test dates and time. GRE tests can be taken as and when you prefer. Disabled candidates need to go through information available on the official website of the test to understand the particular registration procedures available. ETS provides accommodation to physically handicapped examinees provided they meet the eligibility requirements by the ETS. They can also contact ETS Disability Services for further details on registration and accommodation procedures.
Registering for GRE test is not very easy because the test taking policies of test centers in America and in other locations vary. The candidates might have their own preferences for taking up tests on a particular date with a testing center which is convenient to them. The best thing is to register early for the test and familiarize yourself with the registration policies well in advance.