GRE Registration: Online
Benefits of GRE Registration Online
Registering for the GRE Test:
Once you decide to take the GRE test, you have quite a few options to register for the test. You can register online for the test directly from the official website. Alternatively you can consider registering by phone, fax or mail — the option for registering via fax being available only for students outside the US. However, online registration is by far the quickest way to reserve a seat for the GRE test, and it is also comparatively easier than the other available options. You will understand the benefits of online registration once you consider the other options.
Benefits of GRE Registration Online:
As you can see, you have several options for registering for the GRE test. Let’s take a side-by-side look at the registration process you have to go through for each of the registration options; this will give you an idea why online registration might be a better option for you.
- Time to register: Online registration is the quickest way for registering for the test. If you have access to a computer and internet, and if you have a credit or debit card, you can register instantly! If you register by mail or fax, you need to wait till it reaches the authorities. For registration by mail, your application form must reach ETS three weeks before the first test date you choose, and for application via fax, it must reach at least one week before the first chosen test date.
- Option for choosing a test date: If you consider this mode of registration, you will see a list of available dates at the time of registration. You can choose a date you wish, and it would be reserved right away. However, if you consider registering by mail or fax, you may not get the desired test date, and if the next available date does not match with your schedule, you must contact the nearest Regional Registration Center (RRC) within 24 hours to change the test schedule.
- Getting your registration confirmation number: Once you register successfully for the test, you will receive a confirmation number against your registration. For verification purposes, you need to take the registration confirmation number to the test center on the test date. When you register online for the test, you need to provide a valid email address; and as soon as the registration process is completed, you will receive the confirmation number in your mailbox. For registration via mail or fax, the confirmation number will be sent to you either through email, fax or mail. If you register by phone, you need to call the nearest Regional Registration Center two full days before the test date to get the confirmation number.
- Payment options: There are various payment options that ETS accepts: credit card, debit card, check, money order, voucher, etc. However, payment through a credit or debit card is the easiest and most acceptable option. As a result, if you have a credit or debit card, and have access to a computer with internet connection, online option is the best option for you.
GRE Online Registration Process:
You can see that the online registration process is the best option for scheduling a GRE test appointment. Moreover, the online registration option is available, no matter which version of the test you are taking. If you are taking the paper based version of the General Test or the Subject Tests, you do not have the option for registering by phone or fax; you need to register either online or via mail. With that said, now let’s take a look at the steps that you must go through to complete your registration:
- Before you can register online for the test, you need to create a My GRE account on the GRE website. The My GRE account will enable you to register for the General Test or the Subject Test, to view your scores online, to print admission tickets for the paper based test, etc.
- Once you go to the official GRE website, you will find the ‘Register Online’ option on the ‘Register for the Test’ section.
- After clicking on the online registration option, you will be shown a list of countries where the test is administered. Once you select your country from the list, you will see which version of the test is available in your country.
- This will take you to the registration page where you have to select your state or region to narrow down you search. This will show you a list of available test centers near your location.
- To schedule your test, choose a test center from the list of available test centers. Your test will be scheduled through this test center, so be sure to select the nearest test center or one that you can reach easily.
- Next you will be given the option for choosing either a test date or a three-month period within which you intend to take the test. Once you select the time when you intend to take the test, you will be shown whether the date is available or not for the test center you have chosen. If you choose a three-month period, you will be shown all available dates within that time.
- Select a date to see when the test is being offered on that date. Select the time you intend to take the test.
- Once you have fixed a date and time, you will be given a form to be filled up with your personal information. Be sure to read the instructions on the GRE website before filling up the form. There are certain rules you need to follow, as this information will be used to identify you later.
- As the final step, you need to select your payment method to complete your registration. Once you are done with the registration process, be sure to check you mails to get the registration confirmation number.
When Online Registration Is Not the Option for You:
Finally, you need to remember that in some cases online registration might not be the option for you. For example, if you want to avail one of the fee reduction certificates that ETS provides, then you cannot register online. If you are trying to register for standby testing or Monday testing, then also, the online registration option will not work for you. Test takers with disabilities need to register by mail. Moreover, test takers from Nigeria cannot avail the online registration option.