Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.greguide.com/includes/include-gre-dates.html) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in C:\inetpub\vhosts\greguide.com\httpdocs\gre-fee.html on line 86
When, Where and How Much To Pay For the GRE
Registering for the GRE
It is true that success in the GRE is the stepping stone to a bright career that is financially sound and professionally satisfying. Succeeding in getting good scores in the test is dependent upon how much time you have invested in studying for the test. Another crucial factor that determines the level of your success in the exam is the time when you register for it. Registering for the test should be done after careful planning and after giving due consideration to certain aspects like the last dates for submission of your test scores to the graduate schools where you have applied for admissions.
Registering for the test is not free of cost; therefore work out the time that will be the best for you to take the test before you invest money in registering for it. There are a number of polices governing the refund of test fee. Therefore, you should be absolutely sure about the date when you would like to take the test. Any rescheduling or cancellation of the test date by you at a later stage is bound to cost you money.
Paying for the GRE
The modes of payment for the fee and the amount will vary depending upon certain factors like the date when you are registering for the test, the place from where you will be taking the test, any additional requests made by you etc. Certain additional fees like the late registration fee will be added to the fee for the standard test administration if it is applicable for you. Given below is a brief description of the fee that you will have to pay depending upon the circumstances and conditions under which you are taking the test.
GRE fee for the standard test administration:
This is the basic test fee which you will have to pay when you register for taking the test.$160 if you are testing from United States, U.S. Territories and Puerto Rico and $190 if you are testing from the remaining locations.
Additional GRE fee:
This is the fee that you will have to pay in addition to the fee for the standard test administration depending upon your requirements.
- Late registration fee: This amounts to $25 and is applicable only if you are taking the paper-based test and are registering for it online.
- Standby testing: You will have to pay an additional amount of $50 if you are registering for standby testing, but for the paper-based test only.
- Rescheduling fee: You will have to pay $50 if you want to reschedule your test date.
- Change of test centre: If you want to change your test centre, you will have to pay an additional fee amounting to $50.
Apart from the test fee for the standard test administration and the additional fees, you will also have to pay extra for requesting for score reviews or additional score reports. Go to the official website, www.ets.org for details regarding the fee for specific services like score services. Also, the official website of the test offers various study materials including practice tests that can be bought online. The cost for these can be obtained from the official website of the test.
How to pay the GRE Fee
Payment for taking the test can be done in a variety of ways. You can use credit/debit cards, E-checks, money order etc. depending upon the place where you are taking the test and the format of the GRE (computer-based or paper-based) that you are going to take.
If you are taking the computer-based test, then you can pay the fee by utilizing any of the following methods:
- Credit/debit card. Cards from American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and VISA are acceptable for payment of the test fee.
- Money order or certified check or voucher.
The following modes of payment are available to those who are registering for the paper-based test:
- Credit/debit card from American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard and VISA.
- E-Check. This mode of payment is applicable only when the check is drawn against US bank accounts.
- Money order or certified check or voucher.
- UNESCO coupons
- Western Union
The available modes of payment for the fee may vary slightly depending upon the place from where you taking the test. For instance, if you are taking the computer-based test from Mainland China, you may have to refer to your NEEA account for details regarding the available modes of payment for the fee. Therefore, visit the official website or your Regional Registration Centre to confirm the mode of payment applicable for you in case you are not residing in the US and its territories.
When to pay the GRE Fee
You will have to pay for taking the test when you register for it. If you are registering for the test online, then you can immediately make the payment using your credit/debit card or other online options like PayPal depending upon the options available for the format of exam you are registering for. If you are registering by mail, then you can send the payment for your test fee in the form of a certified check or money order. The bottom-line is that you should keep your mode of payment ready when you register for the test because that is the time when you will have to pay the fee.
Important aspects of paying the GRE Fee
Listed below are some salient aspects of paying the test fee. You must keep these in mind when you are planning to pay for taking the test.
- Cash is not accepted for paying the fee.
- Your registration will not be processed if you do not pay the required fee amount.
- Additional payment for any services like the scoring services is non-refundable.
- Half of your exam fee will be refunded if you cancel your registration, but this cancellation has to be done at least 3 days before the test date. The refund will not be in cash. If you had registered for the paper-based test, then the refund will be processed after the score reporting date.
- The GRE Fee Reduction Program offers Fee Reduction Certificates. These certificates are given on a first-come, first-served basis and are available to those test-takers who meet specific eligibility requirements. You can visit the official website for details regarding the Fee Reduction Program and utilize it if you meet the eligibility criteria.
ETS is the organization that develops and administers the test and it reserves the right to add or delete the options available for payment of exam fee. Moreover, it is not bound to provide any notice for the same and it can do so at its own discretion. Therefore, it will be in your interest that you visit the official website of the test regularly and update yourself regarding the latest developments in respect of how to pay the fee. Register and pay for the GRE well in time so that you are free to concentrate on studying for the test!