GRE Application to Fulfill your Aspirations
Before you decide to take the GRE, the first step is to select an appropriate test date so that your scores will reach well before the admission deadline of your prospective schools. Next you have to fill in the application form of the test to fulfill your aspirations. This article tells you all about it.
GRE Application for Computer- Based GRE: When you prepare to take the computer-based Revised GRE Test, you can fill in the application form through any of the three given options.
- Online Option: You can fill in the application online at www.ets.org/mygre. You can pay online through American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, and VISA credit or debit cards. This online option however, is not available for examinees from Nigeria. Test takers testing from Mainland China will have to refer to the instructions given in NEEA account for payment methods.
- Telephone Option: If you want to fill in the application by phone, then you need a voucher number or a valid credit or debit card from American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA. If you are testing from United States, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada you should call 1-443-751-4820 or 1-800-473-2255. Test takers from any other part of the world should call the Regional Registration Center (RRC) for details.
For examinees testing from Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan and Korea the option of applying by telephone is not available.
- Mail Option: You can make your payment for application by mail through a certified check or by money order. You should complete the International Test scheduling form given in the ETS bulletin and the payment should be mailed to the appropriate Regional Registration Center.
If you are testing from United States, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada, you have to complete the Authorization Voucher Request form of the bulletin and the payment should be mailed to the address given on the form. You have to schedule your appointment after you have received an authorization voucher from ETS, which should not take more than three weeks.
GRE application by mail is not allowed for examinees from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea.
You should mail your form along with the payment at least three weeks before your earliest testing date. If you have any problems with the provided testing date then you can contact the appropriate RRC within 24 hours of receipt of your application confirmation. In case you have not received a confirmation of your application then you must contact the appropriate RRC on a full working day which should be at least, three days before the registration deadline from your earliest testing date.
GRE Application for Paper-Based GRE: When you prepare to take the paper-based Revised GRE Test, you can fill in the registration form through any of the two options given:
- Online Option: Payment for your completed form can be made through debit/credit cards from American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, and VISA. You can also make the payments by Pay Pal or by e-check (drawn against U.S. bank accounts only).
- Mail Option: For those of you who want to send in their application by mail, you have to complete the paper based testing application form given on the ETS bulletin and mail it with your address listed on the form. You can also make your payment by certified check or money order. Once your application has been sent after completion, ETS will send you an admission ticket by mail. Do not forget to bring this admission ticket to the test center on the exam date. If you require to make any changes such as address change or change in score recipients (no name change is allowed), then you should make the corrections on the correction stub of the admission ticket and send it to the ETS by the Friday before the test date.
Online payment option is not available for test takers testing in Nigeria.
In case you have not received your admission ticket or have lost it unwillingly, then you can print your admission ticket from www.ets.org/mygre.
Completing the GRE Application Form:
Whenever you decide on the test date either for the computer-based Revised Test or for the paper-based Revised Test, try to fill in the application as early as possible. Any delay on your part can make you lose your seat for that particular test date, as appointments are on first come first served basis, besides early registration can improve your chances of getting your preferred test center and test date. If at all you are late in filling the application form, you will have to pay a late fee of US$25 along with the regular fee and there is no guarantee of you getting your preferred test date and test center. This payment has to be done in one week’s time as payment for late registrations closes within one week after the regular registration dates.
Essentials for GRE Application Form:
There are certain essential points to bear in mind when filling up the registration form of GRE. They are as follows:
- a. Keep checking the GRE online registration system for the latest update on the various examination centers as not all the examination centers are open on all the dates.
- b. Transferring your registration to someone else could get you into serious trouble.
- c. Decide on a minimum of four score recipients, which have to be designated on your application. If you forget to select your score recipient at the time of applying before your test date, then you will need to submit an Additional Score Report request form with US$27 fee per recipient.
- d. You cannot exchange your testing fees and registration between the paper-based tests and the computer-based tests.
- e. When you enter your name on the application, you must write your name and surname, such that it should match exactly as it is written on your identification documents, (ID) (without any space or accents) which you are going to present on the day of the examination, otherwise you will not be allowed to take the test or your test scores will be cancelled after you have taken the test.
- f. Do not enter your nickname or initials as your first name, on the application.
- g. If you are applying through phone then make sure that you have applied under your first and last names as they appear on your ID.
- h. Carry your admission ticket and be on time at the test center.
- i. If at all you want to reschedule or cancel your test date then you should do so within the prescribed time or you will forfeit your full test fee. For more information visit www.ets.org/gre/revised/changetest.