Cost of GRE
The Cost of taking a GRE Test
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) conducted by Education
Testing Services (ETS) all year round paves the way for joining a
graduate or a business school culminating in a bright career. The
crucial step in achieving that goal is to get a good score in these
tests. If you are a student desiring to earn admission in a graduate
or business school, you need to undergo the GRE test. As a test taker,
you need to first register yourself for the general test. Your
attention is much required to understand the cost of exams. There
are different components to the cost of tests and how much will
be your overall cost incurred by you. You can register online through
the ETS website
(www.ets.org/gre) and schedule an exam date that is
available for your country and pay the exam fee. While registering,
make sure to pay the exam fees, because registering without fee
payment will become void.
The Exam Fee
The examination fee is different for people living in the US and
for people in other countries. The following lines provide you the
exam fee information you require,
- If you live in the United States, US territories or Puerto Rico
the exam fee for the GRE general test is US$160.
- For all other countries the exam fees is US$190.
- If you wish to take the exam between August 1, 2011 and
September 30, 2011 ETS offers a 50% reduction in the exam fee.
The discounted fee for people living in the United States, US
territories or Puerto Rico is US$80 and for people in other countries
it is, US$95 for the period up to September 30, 2011.
- The exam fee is the same for both the CBT and PBT.
Charges for Other Services
ETS charges a cost for other handling services and special requests
made by students. The cost for other services that are offered are as
- The cost for changing your test center is US$50 and the cost for
rescheduling your test date is US$50.
- The late registration fee is US$25 which is payable for the
paper-based tests registered on-line.
- Similarly the stand by test fee is US$50 for students opting for
the paper-based test.
ETS also charges you for availing few other services related to the test and scores. The payable services are as follows
- ScoreitNow – an online practice service for analytical writing test
can be availed by paying US$13
- ‘The official Guide to the GRE’ by ETS book, is available for
download for US$35. This book is also available at leading
- If you wish to have your scores by phone, the charge is US$12
- For each additional score report, the charge is US$23 per
- The question and answer review service is available for verbal and
quantitative reasoning sections. The charge for availing this service
- To review scores for the analytical writing section, the charge is US$55
- The charges for Paper-based test multiple-choice hand scoring is US$30
- The charges for Score reinstatement fee is US$30
General information related to cost of GRE and payments
- For computer based and paper based tests, ETS accepts payments made
using credit/debit card which is branded with American Express,
MasterCard, VISA, Discover or JCB. Payments made by way of Money order,
Certified check or voucher is also accepted.
- Students testing in mainland China can refer to the instructions
in their NEEA account for payment.
- For paper-based tests, payments can also be made through Paypal,
E-Check service (drawn against US bank accounts only), Money order,
Certified check/voucher, UNESCO coupons or Western Union Quick Pay
method with your form.
- While making payments through Western Union you have to fill the
Company Name: Educational Testing Service; the Company Code:
GREPROGRAM NJ and Country: USA. You have to include your original
Western Union Quick Pay Receipt with your form.
- Payments can also be made by check, payable to ETS-GRE.
- ETS also accepts payments in other currencies such as British
pound, Canadian dollar, Euro and Japanese yen. These payments must have
the US dollar exchange equivalent.
- Taxes are to be paid wherever applicable. If you do not pay the
correct fee fully your registration will be returned.
- If you wish to cancel your registration you must do so before three
full days prior to the test date in order to obtain half the
equivalent of your test fee. The reminder of your test fee will be
used to cover your processing charges.
- Refunds will be made in American dollars only. Refunds will not be
given to you if you fail to provide the required identification
documents, receipts at the test center or if you do not follow the
registration procedure fully.
- Refunds for paper-based tests will be processed after the score
- There are no refunds for additional services. All fee payments must
paid in full with the correct details and information.
- ETS offers a limited fee reduction program for US nationals
fulfilling certain criteria and on first-come first-served basis.
- ETS reserves the right to add or delete on-line payment options at
its own discretion and without notice.
- Complete information regarding exam fees, payment policies,
etc can be found at: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/fees/
This exam is designed to check your mental abilities, for your
readiness to take up admission in a grad or business school. The
general test has three sections namely analytical writing, quantitative
reasoning and verbal reasoning. The tests are conducted in two
versions namely, Computer Based Test (CBT) and Paper Based Test (PBT).
While registering the exam date, make sure you have sufficient time to
prepare and practice for the tests as they require lot of effort on
your part, as you will need a high score with percentile while applying