Cost of GRE
The Cost of taking a GRE Test
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) conducted by Education Testing Services (ETS) all year round paves the way for joining a graduate or a business school culminating in a bright career. The crucial step in achieving that goal is to get a good score in these tests. If you are a student desiring to earn admission in a graduate or business school, you need to undergo the GRE test. As a test taker, you need to first register yourself for the general test. Your attention is much required to understand the cost of exams. There are different components to the cost of tests and how much will be your overall cost incurred by you. You can register online through the ETS website (www.ets.org/gre) and schedule an exam date that is available for your country and pay the exam fee. While registering, make sure to pay the exam fees, because registering without fee payment will become void.
The Exam Fee
The examination fee is different for people living in the US and for people in other countries. The following lines provide you the exam fee information you require,
- If you live in the United States, US territories or Puerto Rico the exam fee for the GRE general test is US$160.
- For all other countries the exam fees is US$190.
- If you wish to take the exam between August 1, 2011 and September 30, 2011 ETS offers a 50% reduction in the exam fee. The discounted fee for people living in the United States, US territories or Puerto Rico is US$80 and for people in other countries it is, US$95 for the period up to September 30, 2011.
- The exam fee is the same for both the CBT and PBT.
Charges for Other Services
ETS charges a cost for other handling services and special requests made by students. The cost for other services that are offered are as follows:
- The cost for changing your test center is US$50 and the cost for rescheduling your test date is US$50.
- The late registration fee is US$25 which is payable for the paper-based tests registered on-line.
- Similarly the stand by test fee is US$50 for students opting for the paper-based test.
ETS also charges you for availing few other services related to the test and scores. The payable services are as follows
- ScoreitNow – an online practice service for analytical writing test can be availed by paying US$13
- ‘The official Guide to the GRE’ by ETS book, is available for download for US$35. This book is also available at leading bookstores
- If you wish to have your scores by phone, the charge is US$12
- For each additional score report, the charge is US$23 per recipient
- The question and answer review service is available for verbal and quantitative reasoning sections. The charge for availing this service is US$50
- To review scores for the analytical writing section, the charge is US$55
- The charges for Paper-based test multiple-choice hand scoring is US$30
- The charges for Score reinstatement fee is US$30
General information related to cost of GRE and payments
- For computer based and paper based tests, ETS accepts payments made using credit/debit card which is branded with American Express, MasterCard, VISA, Discover or JCB. Payments made by way of Money order, Certified check or voucher is also accepted.
- Students testing in mainland China can refer to the instructions in their NEEA account for payment.
- For paper-based tests, payments can also be made through Paypal, E-Check service (drawn against US bank accounts only), Money order, Certified check/voucher, UNESCO coupons or Western Union Quick Pay method with your form.
- While making payments through Western Union you have to fill the Company Name: Educational Testing Service; the Company Code: GREPROGRAM NJ and Country: USA. You have to include your original Western Union Quick Pay Receipt with your form.
- Payments can also be made by check, payable to ETS-GRE.
- ETS also accepts payments in other currencies such as British pound, Canadian dollar, Euro and Japanese yen. These payments must have the US dollar exchange equivalent.
- Taxes are to be paid wherever applicable. If you do not pay the correct fee fully your registration will be returned.
- If you wish to cancel your registration you must do so before three full days prior to the test date in order to obtain half the equivalent of your test fee. The reminder of your test fee will be used to cover your processing charges.
- Refunds will be made in American dollars only. Refunds will not be given to you if you fail to provide the required identification documents, receipts at the test center or if you do not follow the registration procedure fully.
- Refunds for paper-based tests will be processed after the score reporting date.
- There are no refunds for additional services. All fee payments must paid in full with the correct details and information.
- ETS offers a limited fee reduction program for US nationals fulfilling certain criteria and on first-come first-served basis.
- ETS reserves the right to add or delete on-line payment options at its own discretion and without notice.
- Complete information regarding exam fees, payment policies, etc can be found at: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/fees/
This exam is designed to check your mental abilities, for your readiness to take up admission in a grad or business school. The general test has three sections namely analytical writing, quantitative reasoning and verbal reasoning. The tests are conducted in two versions namely, Computer Based Test (CBT) and Paper Based Test (PBT). While registering the exam date, make sure you have sufficient time to prepare and practice for the tests as they require lot of effort on your part, as you will need a high score with percentile while applying for admission.